NinjaTrader’s award winning online trading platform is designed to support day traders who are interested in futures, forex and CFDs. This page will show you how NinjaTrader 8 works. It includes charts, features, demo accounts and compatibility with NinjaTrader Brokerage.
A Brief History
The privately owned company, based in Denver, Colorado, and Chicago, Illinois has attracted more than 60,000 users and 450+ development staff since 2004. The company offers a highly developed trading platform that includes multiple charts, a variety of features, and market data services. You can customize your trading platform with thousands of third-party apps and add-ons. This allows for fast order execution and advanced market analysis.
NinjaTrader also offers brokerage services that support futures and forex traders, with discounted pricing.
We know NinjaTrader can work in many markets. But what are the most important details before you install the latest version of NinjaTrader?
First, NinjaTrader standard features are free of charge. You have free access to these features:
- Simulating trade
- Market analytics
- Advanced charting
- Backtesting & optimisation
- Automated strategy creation
NinjaTrader is an open-source system that works in the same way as MetaTrader 4 (MT4). NinjaTrader, on the other hand, is popular with futures traders.
If you port NinjaTrader, NinjaTrader can be run on Mac OS, Windows and Linux.
NinjaTrader 8 is the most recent version of the platform. Over 500 improvements were made to the platform. These included improved charting (more configuration), alerting and data upgrades, as well as more performance and data. Developers are not satisfied with the results, however. There are many more user-driven improvements.
If you take a quick look at trading forums and blogs, you’ll see that many people want to know how NinjaTrader compares with MT4, MT5, TradeStation and MultiCharts. With so many options, how does NinjaTrader 8 stand out from the rest?
- You can customizeTraders who wish to personalise their platform or technical indicators will find it easy with this platform. There will be floating windows and other indicators that you won’t find on any other platform.
- Install– Their platform is easy to set up. You can download NinjaTrader 7 and 8 in less than 10 minutes and get up and running in no time.
- ScriptsDay traders who are experienced often appreciate having access to many scripts. NinjaTrader 7 was great for this, and NinjaTrader 8 allows programmers to transfer scripts to the updated version.
- Simulator available for freeThis trial is free and can be used to test random data or live data, which are updated daily. Once you have developed a strategy that works, you can move on to real trading.
- Capabilities for stopping lossNinjaTrader’s intelligent system allows you to create your strategy so that both stop-losses as well as target orders are sent as soon as you trade. Your stop-losses or target orders can be saved from costly mistakes if your internet connection is lost or disconnected.
There are some drawbacks and risks associated with NinjaTrader, despite the many benefits. These are:
- Market Analyser SpeedReviewers have expressed concern about the Market Analyser’s speed when scanning symbols that exceed 100.
- AppsPeople who were hoping to have a native NinjaTrader app on their Apple or Android devices will be disappointed. NinjaTrader Brokerage users have access to CQG Mobile. There have also been discussions about the possibility of a native mobile app for iOS and Android.
- It is difficult to learnThis was especially true for NinjaTrader 7. NinjaTrader 8 has partially addressed this issue. Their support team offers free webinars every day and a variety of video tutorials, guides, websites, and videos online.
- Narrow focus Today’s traders are more interested in cryptocurrency and bitcoin markets. NinjaTrader offers charting and analysis with Coinbase data directly integrated to the platform, but order execution is not available at this time. NinjaTrader offers live trading and is the best for trading forex, stocks, CFDs, futures, and forex.
NinjaTrader Tools & Features
Prospective day traders will ask about the features and tools available. Platform and brokerage reviews have high ratings for both.
NinjaTrader is a top choice for charting capabilities. With their user-friendly, highly customizable tools, NinjaTrader will complement your trading ideas.
- A clear and compelling market visualization
- Multi-time frame plus multi-instrument analysis
- There are more than 100 pre-built custom indicators and hundreds of third-party add-ons.
The following are available to you:
- Gap indicators
- Indicators of news
- Indicators of trends
- Swing indicators
- Volume oscillators
- Reversal indicators
- Volatility indicators
- Indicators of value area
- Divergence indicators
- Indicators for Elliott waves
- Indicators of the average daily range
NinjaTrader’s SuperDOM order entry system and trade management software allows for greater customisability. The following features are available to you:
- Straightforward trade visualisation
- Single click order entry, modification, plus cancellation
- It can be used in conjunction with Advanced Trade Management (ATM).
Advanced Trade Management
NinjaTrader ATM module is a strong selling feature. The sophisticated technology allows you to pre-define your trade management strategies. These include:
- Many profit targets and stop loss orders
- Orders that can be cancelled by another (OCO)
- Auto-breakeven stops
- Trailing losses
It automatically submits entry/exit order within milliseconds, which can help you make more profit. It may also reduce the stress and time required to manually manage multiple exit orders in volatile market.
Machine learning algorithms are increasingly representing day trading volume. Automating your strategy can increase your profits if it is consistent and effective.
Once you have entered your criteria, the algorithm/bot will automatically enter and exit trades when your criteria are met. This can allow you to trade far more than you could ever manually.
NinjaTrader lets you automate your trading strategy, whether it was created using NinjaScript or an external application.
- Automated strategies can be developed and bought
- Automated strategies can be analysed and executed
- Trade signals can be processed from applications outside
- You can either create or buy third-party custom charts indicators
NinjaTrader has a very useful market replay function. You can download historical data to allow you to go back to a particular day and trade in that market just like it was live. This is a great way to develop a strategy or get familiar with Fibonacci levels.
Other analytical tools
NinjaTrader also offers trade performance tools and market and strategy analysis. These tools can all be used to improve your day trading performance.
NinjaTrader’s minimum system and hardware requirements are industry-standard. This means that most people should have the ability to download full versions 7 and 8. The video library also contains programming and coding manuals.
You get many customisable charts as well as trade simulation programs. A reliable support forum, data feeds, indicator list, intelligent programming capabilities, and extensive data feeds are all available.
It is important to spend some time browsing their video library and educational services after you log in.
It can be difficult to get used to a new platform. NinjaTrader offers a variety of support and education to help you make the most of your trading software. You can access training videos and help guides daily, as well as webinars every day.
These methods should help:
- Price quotes
- Stock scanners
- Different plugins
- Data subscriptions
- Types of orders and quantities
- Templates & Tutorials for Strategy
- Brokerage withdrawals, funding
- Stop limit orders and output windows
If you have any questions, NinjaTrader can be reached via email or the support forum. A 20-strong help desk team is made up of NinjaTrader experts to make sure you get the best out of their platform.
Many educational materials are based on frequently asked questions of traders. For example, “How to” is the most popular educational material.
- How to place a Stop Loss
- How to delete strategies
- How to trade futures
- How to use Ninjatrader 9.
… and many other things.
These questions are often answered via webinar or video tutorials. These videos are around two to three minutes long and focus on a specific topic, such as charts or connecting to the platform. Videos are also available on Youtube, but they are very short.
The webinars are more time-consuming and traders must sign up for them, but they provide more information and depth.
NinjaTrader’s demo account offers a great opportunity for beginners to learn about the markets and trading platform. It’s easy to download their demo account software.
Go to their website, click Trade Futures or trade FX. Scroll down to create a demo account. You will only need an email address, and your location. If you have not already done so, you will be sent your login details along with the steps to download their platform.
Trade simulator reviews are generally positive and it’s easy to see why. Scalper novices can learn on Heiken Ashi charts and have access to market and volume profiles, playback functions, and other features.
Once you are confident, you can open an account for live trading, which is funded with real capital.
After you register and log in with your demo account, you’ll also receive information from NinjaTrader brokerage. These will include information about exchange fees and other costs related to their broker’s services.
These are the key costs:
- A futures trading account requires a minimum deposit of $1,000
- A forex trading account requires a minimum deposit of $50
- Day trading margins are $500 for popular futures like the S&P 500 emini.
- Mini Dax and FTSE 100 futures both have margins of $1000
- Commissions start at $0.53 per contract. This will vary depending on whether you purchase NinjaTrader or lease it. Or if you use the free version.
- You will need to pay $1099 for a lifetime NinjaTrader license. You can also choose to pay four monthly payments, each $329. If you lease, it will cost $720 annually, $425 for six-months, and $225 monthly.
You will need a lifetime license to NinjaTrader. It costs $999. You can also pay four monthly payments, each $299. You can lease it for $180 per month, $330 for six-months, or $600 annually.
It’s also worth noting that commissions might be slightly higher if NinjaTrader is used for free.
NinjaTrader 7 vs NinjaTrader 8
NinjaTrader 8 was highly anticipated. The requirements for the 8 are similar to those of the 7. If you already have one, you should be able migrate to the other easily. The 8 can be used on Windows or Mac.
Out of 500 changes, the 8 major enhancements are:
- Speed increases
- Historical bid-ask data
- Significant improvements in charting
- Time stamps for sub-second market data
- SuperDOM allows you to add custom columns or indicators
8 customers have reviewed the new features and found them to be satisfactory. However, the full 7 version should suffice if you do not want to upgrade. Many traders have pointed out that the NinjaTrader 7 knowledge and experience will be applicable to the NinjaTrader 8 download.
You can find NinjaTrader 8 tutorials and strategy builders as well as backtesting guidance by visiting their trading forum or library.
It is also worth noting, however, that there are no NT 8 mobile capabilities.
NinjaTrader is a broker-independent trading platform. There are many supported brokers in the UK and other countries. NinjaTrader is licensed as a multi-broker. You, the trader have the freedom to choose where you want to execute your trades.
There is a possibility of communication delays between platforms. If you desire a seamless transition from one platform to another, you might want to choose one of the NinjaTrader Brokerage brokers. They support most of the leading independent market data service providers like Kinetick.
There are many forex brokers and futures brokers that you can use NinjaTrader software. You can even choose from several international supported broker technologies such as:
- MB Trading
- TD Ameritrade
- Clear Corretora
- Interactive Brokers
- NinjaTrader Rithmic
- NinjaTrader Continuum
- GAIN Capital/FOREX.com
NinjaTrader also supports additional market data vendors such as:
- Yahoo Finance
- Metastock Import
- IQFeed by Telvent DTN
- Import historical text files from text file
For a complete list of instruments, including futures and forex, visit their brokerage website.
NinjaTrader Customer Service
Every second in day trading costs money. You don’t want your account to go down the drain waiting for NinjaTrader. They offer technical support 24/5 in many languages and 24/7 emergency trade support in many languages. This means that no matter where you are located, someone is always available.
These are the things you can expect to get help with:
- Set up alarms
- Check your account balance
- We make sure you are fully informed about prices
- How to place stop-loss orders and obtain currency prices
- Margin requirements and daily loss limits
- Examples and directions to their strategy-builder
- Automated trading strategies and tick charts
- Information about holiday hours and important dates
- Understanding license and leverage conditions including intraday margin requirements, inactivity fees and other restrictions
Although you can access technical and brokerage support at any time, NinjaTrader doesn’t have a live chat function. This could help speed up the resolution process. Generally, however, email support is prompt and industry-standard.
Visit their website to find the emergency phone number for your area.
Support forums are a great resource for finding solutions to problems with connecting or not starting the system. There will be an immediate report of any downtime, scheduled or not.
The Final Word
NinjaTrader is a powerful and reliable software that can provide market data. However, it can take some time to become familiar with the program, especially for beginners. You can access your account from anywhere with CQG Desktop, even though there is no native iPhone app or iPad app.
You get a large trading community, educational resources, and high customisability. These factors can improve your trading performance, and help you to make intraday profits. If you choose NinjaTrader Brokerage, you will also benefit from low margins or commissions. This is a great way to save money.
NinjaTrader accepts only traders from the United States, Netherlands. Norway. Nigeria. Poland. Portugal. Russian Federation. Saudi Arabia. Australia. Austria. Bulgaria. Brazil. United Kingdom. Cyprus. Czech Republic. Denmark. Finland. Egypt. France. Switzerland. Germany. Hong Kong. India. Japan. Chile. Mexico. Bolivia.
Alternatives to NinjaTrader
Below is a list of top five brokers that are similar or identical to NinjaTrader. This is a list of brokers similar to NinjaTrader. It only includes brokers that accept traders from your area.
- IronFX – IronFX offers online trading in forex, stocks, futures, commodities and cryptocurrencies
- Just2Trade – Just2Trade offer hitech trading on stocks and options with some of the lowest prices in the industry
- IG Group – IG offer spread betting, CFD and Forex trading across a range of markets. They are FCA-regulated and boast a great trading platform. Their track record is over 40 years.
- Forex.com – Forex.com boast a global reputation. They are licensed in the UK, USA, and Canada and offer a wide range of markets.
- Trade Nation – Trade Nation is a top FX and CFD broker regulated in multiple jurisdictions incl the UK and Australia. They offer tight spreads with no minimum deposit.
What is the cost of NinjaTrader? Is NinjaTrader free to use?
NinjaTrader is completely free. NinjaTrader is completely free. There are no platform fees. The Core Essentials are for charting, strategy, and trade simulation.
The account includes Order Flow +, Trader +, and other paid services that traders may upgrade to. However the core elements of the account are always free.
How to use NinjaTrader
NinjaTrader offers a wide range of help guides and video tutorials for both beginners and advanced traders who want to make the most of NinjaTrader. A well-informed customer support team is available, as well as a lively support forum.
You can fill in any gaps in your knowledge using any of the educational tools listed above.
Can NinjaTrader be used on a Mac?
NinjaTrader, a windows-based platform that uses the.NET framework, is currently called NinjaTrader. This framework is not compatible with Macs. Although Parallels and VMWare can be used to make Ninjatrader work on Macs, these methods are not officially supported.
NinjaTrader is monitoring the demand for a Mac version. However, as of now, no plans are in place.
NinjaTrader works with MT4?
No. NinjaTrader does not integrate with MetaTrader 4(MT4).
Is NinjaTrader a safe, ‘legit’ service?
Yes. NinjaTrader is NFA registered (#0339976) with over 60,000 clients. The User Support Forum allows you to leave feedback and comments that will help you judge customer satisfaction.
Is there a NinjaTrader app?
No. No. This setup is not yet compatible with mobile devices running iOS and Android.
What brokers are NinjaTrader compatible?
These are the top brokers that support NinjaTrader at present: